Welcome to Day 2 of Nut Butter Week! I’m very excited about this recipe
I’ve been looking forward to making my own Nutella for a loooong time. I remember Kat suggesting that I make it for Make it Yourself Monday, so Kat- your wish is my command!
I would actually call this chocolate hazelnut butter, because it’s not quite as sweet and it doesn’t have milk in it (no idea what that adds to Nutella!) but it is delicious, addictive, and you will not be sorry you made it! It still has added sugar from chocolate chips, but sugar isn’t the main ingredient, like store bought Nutella.
I actually prefer it to Nutella- and trust me, I know my Nutella. I spent a week in Rome eating peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches and Nutella gelato. Even Santa knows about my obsession… that’s probably why I got a jar in my Christmas stocking one year.
Better than Nutella
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon (it works!)
- Oil as needed (I used about two tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
- Toast the hazelnuts at 325 degreesfor 15 minutes. If you want to remove the skins, feel free to do so, but it will still be creamy if you don’t.
- Process the hazelnuts until creamy. I found hazelnuts even more difficult to butterize than almond butter, so have patience! I would recommend adding half a tablespoon at a time.
- When the hazelnuts have turned into butter, add the vanilla, salt, and cinnamon and process until combined.
- Add the hazelnut butter into the bowl with your melted chocolate and stir until combined.
This is all that remained today, if that gives you an idea of how good it is.
- Ease of Butterization- It took a super long time (20 minutes?) to turn into butter, but totally worth it.
- Consistency- Fairly drippable right after it’s made, but firms up nicely in the fridge, if that’s the way you like it (that’s what she said)
- Sweetness- Sweet! Not as sweet as Nutella, but sweet.
It’s pretty phenomenal on top of banana soft serve… just saying!
Have you ever had Nutella before?